3F is muddy but safe!

I’ve just got back home after a superb couple of hours at Site B this evening. It was the culmination of an eventful, tiring and, ultimately, very satisfying 24 hours.

At 6:30 this evening – just a few minutes after I had posted my blog about our rescue of 1F and the disappearance of 3F, I received a phone call from volunteer Paul Roberts at Site B. Just as we had all resigned ourselves to the fact that 3F had been lost, the young male had turned up on the nest! Without hesitation myself and John Wright headed straight to Site B. There, just as Paul had described, we found all three juveniles on the nest, including a very muddy 3F who was ravenously tucking into a Roach that 03(97) had delivered to the nest a few minutes previously.

He was covered in mud – making him resemble a Marsh Harrier more than an Ospreys – but other than that, looked in perfectly good health. The mud suggested that he may have come down in one of the water-logged wheat fields near the nest and that he had only been able to escape once he had dried off today. Thankfully the weather has been much-improved compared to yesterday and that, ultimately, is what is likely to have saved him. He was lucky to have survived a night on the ground – especially given that we often see the local foxes patrolling the area close to the nest. Whatever the case, it was a real relief to see him back on the nest and he was clearly pleased too. Having finished the fish he made several short but acrobatic flights to and from the nest; certainly showing no adverse effects of the previous 24 hours. With the other two youngsters on the nest tree too, the whole family bathed in glorious evening light, it was a very pleasing end to a crazy 24 hours!

2 responses to “3F is muddy but safe!”


    Good to hear that your osprey fledglings are all safe and accounted for. Just to confirm that it’s been a difficult season for osprey fledglings everywhere due to the weather, Blue 44, the osprey chick at the Loch of the Lowes in Perthshire, fledged yesterday (16th July) at bang on 8 weeks and has also promptly gone AWOL. The SWT team up there are scouring the Lowes reserve for him, so far without success. Hopefully the first data dump from Roy Dennis’s satellite tracker which is due tomorrow will enable the search team to get a fix on him.

    Regards to all at Rutland!

  2. Mike Simmonds

    Tim, If you’ve got any photographers there today he could end up being in The Times like 02(97)after his evening’rescue’. Next morning he looked like he’d been shampooed for the photo!. Great news and what a relief for you all.